updated July 12, 2018
Animal Care Giver – Part Time
About the Open Position
Animal caregivers report to our shelter director to ensure quality animal care.
- Animal feeding, watering; washing/cleaning food bowls and water troughs
- Barn, habitat, sanctuary cleaning/maintenance, and yardwork
- Working both independently as well as with shelter staff. interns, and volunteers
- Reporting animal health and/or other problems directly to shelter managers
- Assisting shelter managers as needed with animal care and other tasks
- Excellent animal behavior observation skills
- Able to work in all weather conditions – particularly harsh Maine winters
- Able to perform strenuous physical labor and lifting (including 50 lb. grain bags)
- Must be able to follow detailed instructions
- Team player with the ability to work with others, but also able to work independently
- Able to take direction, respond to constructive feedback, and talk through issues
- Very reliable and dependable – maintaining our animal care schedules is essential
- Positive attitude, which is fundamental for this type of work
- Commitment to Peace Ridge Sanctuary’s animal care policies
- Commitment to Peace Ridge Sanctuary’s organizational programs and goals
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record required
- Experience working with farmed animals is strongly preferred for this position – if you don’t have experience, please consider applying for an internship position
- Part time schedule (typically: four days a week), paid at $10/hr.
- May turn into full time employment, depending on hew hire’s performance
- Work schedule may vary regular weekend and holiday availability required
- Occasional travel may be required to assist with transport for rescues
All applicants must submit a Cover Letter, Resume and a completed Job Application.
Whether you need to secure an internship for high school or college credit, or want to design an internship for self-education, we would love to work with you to make this happen.
Internships have a learning criteria created by the potential intern with our director. All internships require working around the animals. Internships usually cover areas including animal care, veterinary protocol, nonprofit management, and humane education, but interns can bring their specifics to us and we can usually make something exciting happen!
Limited housing may also be available for the duration of the internship.
For more information and to complete an application, visit each link below:
- Internship Requirements and FAQ
- Design Your Own Internship
- Barn Attendant Internship
- Internship Application
Peace Ridge Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an applicant’s race, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, color, gender (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, marital status, religion, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, protected medical condition, military status or other classifications that are protected under applicable federal or state anti-discrimination law.