updated March 28, 2019
WE’RE HIRING! Come work at one of the largest animal shelters in New England and have a positive impact in the lives of rescued farmed animals and equines!
We’re looking for a hard-working individual to join our animal care team! Peace Ridge Sanctuary has a current position opening for a FULL-TIME ANIMAL CAREGIVER. Animal caregivers report to our shelter director to ensure quality animal care. This is a physically demanding job – if you question whether or not you have the physical endurance or stamina to do this type of work, please do not apply. We are looking to hire someone who deeply believes in the mission of our organization – we are a vegan, high-capacity animal shelter focusing on rescuing farmed animals and equines from cruelty and neglect situations – if you are unfamiliar with our work, please review our website before applying. We are looking for someone who wants a long term position doing this type of work. If you are just looking to fill time between jobs or looking for something to do until the right thing comes along, this job is not for you, so please do not apply.
- Animal feeding, watering; washing/cleaning food bowls and water troughs
- Barn, habitat, sanctuary cleaning/maintenance, and yard work
- Working both independently as well as with shelter staff, interns, and volunteers
- Reporting animal health and/or other problems directly to shelter managers
- Assisting shelter managers as needed with animal care and other tasks
- Excellent animal behavior observation skills
- Able to work in all weather conditions – particularly harsh Maine winters
- Able to perform strenuous physical labor and lifting (including 50 lb. grain bags)
- Must be able to follow detailed instructions
- Team player with the ability to work with others, but also able to work independently
- Able to take direction, respond to constructive feedback, and talk through issues
- Very reliable and dependable – maintaining our animal care schedules is essential
- Positive attitude, which is fundamental for this type of work
- Commitment to Peace Ridge Sanctuary’s animal care policies
- Commitment to Peace Ridge Sanctuary’s organizational programs and goals
- Experience working with farmed animals is strongly preferred for this position – if you don’t have experience, please consider applying for an internship position
- Full time position, paid hourly
- Schedule includes 5 work days per week and 2 days off
- Some weekend work and evenings required
- Competitive compensation package
- Background checks & reference checks required
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record required
If you sound like the right fit for this job, we would love to hear from you. Please note, to be considered for this job, we REQUIRE A COMPLETED APPLICATION FORM which we will review BEFORE inviting you to interview. No phone calls, please.
REQUIRED APPLICATION FORM: http://www.peaceridgesanctuary.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Staff-Position-Application-1.pdf
Whether you need to secure an internship for high school or college credit, or want to design an internship for self-education, we would love to work with you to make this happen.
Internships have a learning criteria created by the potential intern with our director. All internships require working around the animals. Internships usually cover areas including animal care, veterinary protocol, nonprofit management, and humane education, but interns can bring their specifics to us and we can usually make something exciting happen!
Limited housing may also be available for the duration of the internship.
For more information and to complete an application, visit each link below:
- Internship Requirements and FAQ
- Design Your Own Internship
- Barn Attendant Internship
- Internship Application
Peace Ridge Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an applicant’s race, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, color, gender (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, marital status, religion, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, protected medical condition, military status or other classifications that are protected under applicable federal or state anti-discrimination law.